I’m a photojournalist and documentary storyteller based out of Carrboro, NC, a crunchy little town right next to Chapel Hill, where I received my masters in Journalism and Mass Communication with a concentration in visual communication from the University of North Carolina.
I grew up on a small farm outside of Charlottesville, VA, in a family of storytellers. I used to squirm when my mom would hold up the checkout line in the grocery store, asking the cashier how her kids were doing in school. And hold my breath when my dad sincerely asked the waitress how she lost the tip of her finger.
Slowly, I learned that the same instinct that made my parents great storytellers also made them care deeply about other peoples’ stories.
My brother once told me that he thought the most important thing in life was to learn from other people’s experiences and listen to their stories. That moment planted a seed that eventually led to me pursuing journalism, which led to a love for photojournalism and a passion for photo and video documentary storytelling.
I know how important it is to capture the moments and relationships in life that define who you are, and so I approach every story as if it were my own.
If you have about 5 minutes to spare, head over to the “Surviving Siblings” post. I think it will give you a better feel for my storytelling philosophy and approach.
I would love to talk to you about capturing the moments and story of your wedding, engagement, or unique family story through documentary video or photography. I am open to any and all ideas and promise to work tirelessly to honor your story and work with you to create something you will cherish forever.
In my parallel life I am the co-founder of StoryMineMedia, a documentary storytelling production company that produces independent short films as well as projects for non-profits, foundations and commercial clients. I’ll occasionally post here about StoryMine projects Elena Rue and I are working on, but if you’re curious about that side of things, take a look at the StoryMineMedia site.
My credentials (education, awards, and what have you)
- The University of North Carolina – Masters in Journalism and Mass Communication with a concentration in visual communication
- The College of William and Mary – Bachelors in American Studies
- News21 Fellow and Editor-in-chief of Coal: A Love Story
- Roy H. Park Graduate Fellow, 2009-2011
- 2012 Vimeo Awards – “Born into Coal” shortlisted in documentary category
- Winner SXSW Interactive student award for “Coal: A Love Story”
- Grantham Prize, Award of Merit for “Coal: A Love Story”
- Winner Harvard Kennedy School Joan Shorenstein Center “What is the Future of News” video contest
- Third place Picture of the Year International for “Born into Coal”
- Gold winner for “Born into Coal,” College Photographer of the Year multimedia project category
- Gold winner for “Coal: A Love Story,” College Photographer of the Year large group multimedia project category
- Award of Excellence winner for “Born and Raised,” College Photographer of the Year individual multimedia project category
Get in touch
For pricing and to talk about your wedding, family story, or other project, send me a note: